With the Omicron variant upon us, our #1 defense against COVID-19 remains vaccination. Please continue to strongly encourage COVID-19 vaccination with patients at every opportunity.
Patients may choose to receive a COVID-19 vaccination at VA or at a community location: Vaccines.gov – Find COVID-19 vaccine locations near you.
It also remains important to get your flu shot. Flu and COVID-19 vaccines may be administered at the same time.
The list of resources below can be shared broadly with staff to support this effort.
- Moving to COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance – script for clinicians to have conversations – https://dvagov.sharepoint.com/sites/vhacovidvaccine/Lists/StaffClinician%20Resources%20VHA/DispForm.aspx?ID=4&e=8pFL91
- Clinical Call Center Script – conversations about vaccine/boosters [though developed for CCC – it applies in other clinical settings/clinical roles]- https://dvagov.sharepoint.com/sites/vhacovidvaccine/Lists/Whats%20New%20Section/DispForm.aspx?ID=53&e=XEWmlv
- Holiday Boost Brochure for Veterans – 6 Steps to Have a Constructive Compassionate Conversations with loved ones during the holiday [This resource can be shared with Veterans] – OHT_Booster_Brochure_r3_Screen (sharepoint.com). The link to it on va.gov is here – https://www.va.gov/health/docs/COVID-19-Vaccine-Booster-How-To-Talk.pdf
- CDC Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID -19 Vaccines – comprehensive guidance on CDC website, updated frequently – Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC. Summary Document (can be downloaded and printed – updated when there is a major change) – https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/downloads/summary-interim-clinical-considerations.pdf
- CDC Patient Facing Information on Vaccine Boosters – COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots | CDC
- va.gov site on COVID-19 vaccines – includes frequently updated information on booster doses – COVID-19 Vaccines At VA | Veterans Affairs\
- VHA COVID-19 SharePoint link is where all VHA resources can be found, including trainings for COVID-19 Vaccine Coordinators, Handlers, Vaccinators. The tiles on the landing page include:
- What’s New
- Vaccine Data
- Education and Training – has subsites with staff trainings by audience (e.g., all employee, vaccinator, handler, clinici9an training)
- Communication Toolkits
- Vaccine Coordinator Resources