On, December 29, 2021, the Office of Personnel Management extended the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) delegated authority under the provisions of 5 CFR 553.202 and 5 USC 8344 and 8468 to waive the salary off-set when necessary to reemploy a Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) annuitant on a temporary basis in support of the COVID-19 emergency. The OPM COVID-19 dual compensation waiver authority is to be used to hire reemployed annuitants in occupations covered by the delegation, in order to address the COVID-19 national emergency and fill a temporary critical need. The occupations covered by the delegation are listed in the attached, Dual Compensation Waiver Occupations covered in Support of COVID-19 Emergency. Please note, for any annuitant hired to work in support of COVID-19, only use the COVID-19 dual compensation waiver authority, do not use the NDAA dual compensation waiver authority.
Important to note for the COVID-19 DCW authority extension:
• COVID-19 dual compensation waivers granted pursuant to the delegation dated December 31, 2021 may be extended through June 30, 2022, and cannot extend beyond that date; new memorandums are not needed to extend the waivers.
• Dual compensation waiver requests granted under this authority expire June 30, 2022 and cannot extend beyond that date.
• Employees currently on a waiver may be extended; a new memorandum is not required, and a termination of the appointment is not required.
• Requirements for temporary appointments must still be met:
o Title 5 competitive appointments lasting more than 120 days must be announced to meet CTAP/ICTAP requirements.
o Title 38 positions do not have to be announced.
• May use excepted hiring authorities such as Schedule A, B and C, 30% or more service-connected disability, Veterans Recruitment Appointment, and appointments under title 38.
• May only hire annuitants with voluntary retirement, it excludes early voluntary retirements, disability retirement or annuitants who received a buy-out, Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment.
• VISN Chief HRO continues to be the approving official for COVID-19 dual compensation waiver requests.
Please click the following to see references:
- OCHCO COVID-19 Dual Compensation Waiver Extension and Approval Process and Package Requirements 2022
- COVID-19 Dual Compensation Waiver Extension and Approval Process and Package Requirements 2022
- COVID-19 Dual Compensation Waiver Request Template for VHA
- COVID-19 Dual Compensation Waiver VHA Annuitants Spreadsheet
- COVID-19 Dual Compensation Waiver Statement of Annuitant Template
- Dual Compensation Waiver Occupations covered in Support of COVID-19 Emergency
- Guidance on Social Security Benefits for Reemployed Annuitants hired under COVID-19 Dual Compensation Waiver Authority
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Stephanie Boyd at email@example.com or 202-236-6704.