The FY24 Q2 VA Trainee Recruitment Virtual Meet-and-Greet Event is Now Open for Facility Registration to Recruit VA Trainees to Your 2024 Staff Positions:
The VHA Trainee Recruitment Event (VA-TRE) team is excited to announce that facility registration links are now open for our FY24 Q2 Winter online meet-and-greet recruiting events! The majority of our candidates will be current VHA trainees seeking positions for start dates later in 2024 when they complete their training programs. If this will be your first VA-TRE, a one-page QuickGuide overview of the process is attached.
These are the only VA-TRE events for these professions in FY24, so if you are hoping to recruit these VA trainees in FY24, now is the time!
If you are also interested in future VA-TRE events for other professions, see the full annual event schedule below: F24 VA-TRE Event Schedule
Facilities who want to participate should:
- Register your positions that you would like to recruit for at the link for the profession by January 26, in order to receive CVs/ resumes on March 1 from all interested current and former VA trainee/resident/fellow candidates nationwide for your online meet-and-greets and interviews.
- The attached registration checklist includes the information that you will need to register for your site. The online form does not allow you to save and come back, so we recommend gathering your information before you begin.
- Registrations may be submitted by service lines OR by your preferred HR /Recruiter point of contact
- ***If multiple departments at your site may be recruiting in the same profession, you may register for your own service line/ department and the full listings for your location will then be rolled up by VA-TRE.
VA Trainee Candidate Registration for these VA trainees will open on February 7 once we have compiled the full list of participating locations for each profession. Trainee Candidate registration will be open from February 7 – 21, 2024 – the event links for candidates will also be sent out at that time to this audience with a list of all registered locations for Winter 2024 meet-and-greets. Your local trainees may register at that time even if your site is not currently recruiting, in order to find openings at other VA locations. Both paid and unpaid, rotating or long-term, current and former VA trainees are eligible to participate.
- Trainee Candidate Recruitment Mailing List (All Professions) Current and former VA health professions trainees (HPTs) in any profession who would like to add themselves to our email list for VA recruitment event outreach may do so at this link at any time: Register for VA Trainee Candidate Mailing List. HPTs will receive an automated general reply from the system, but will be added specifically to the HPT contact list for their profession. Trainees who also submit a resume and geographic preference may also be connected with recruiters and/or hiring managers at their desired VA locations as relevant positions become available.
More VA-TRE Info Below: click links to jump to each section
- What is VA-TRE? (What are the facility obligations if we participate?)
- Where do I sign up?
- Q2 VA TRE Event Timeline: What are the rest of the deadlines for this Q2 VA-TRE Event?
- VA-TRE FY24 Schedule for Other Professions (What other VA-TRE events will be held in FY24? When do we sign-up for them?)
- VA Trainees (all professions) – How Can They Join the Mailing List for Future VA-TRE Events?
- General Info on Recruiting Your Own Local Trainees (all healthcare professions)
What are VA-Trainee Recruitment Events (VA-TRE)?
- Purpose: Through VA-TRE, VA connects interested current and former VA trainees who want to continue their careers at VA with VA locations who want to hire our trainees for staff positions.
- Time frame: This VA-TRE Q2 meet and greet and interview period runs from March 4 – April 19, 2024. Facilities should be seeking candidates who will become available for 2024 start dates.
- Who? This event is dedicated to current and former VA health professions trainees – both paid and unpaid trainees are eligible to participate. Please note: the majority of applications that TRE receives will be from current VA trainees and fellows, and as a result, many will be applying now seeking positions for summer/ early fall 2024. If your positions are only open to former trainees who are available to start immediately, they may not be suitable for this event. TRE is encouraging facilities who have ongoing regular vacancies to forecast your open positions for summer/early fall 2024 so that VA can make offers to these VA trainees before they start to receive early job offers from our private sector healthcare competitors. Candidates not available to start until 2025 should wait for next year’s events.
- Candidate Registration: Register – when candidate registration opens, trainee candidates will be asked to provide contact info, availability date, a CV/ resume, and to select the registered locations you would like to meet with.
- Connecting: VA-TRE connects trainees with their chosen sites who will schedule a brief initial meet and greet (online, by phone, or face-to-face if you are local) and facilities can then decide to proceed with interviewing and making early job offers to their interested candidates.
- Facility Obligations: By signing up, facilities are agreeing to hold brief meet and greets with the VA trainees who register as interested in their locations. Following meet and greets, sites may proceed to interview and make offers to top candidates that meet their local staffing needs, using the full range of streamlined hiring flexibilities available. Facilities are not obligated to interview or make offers to any candidates after meet-and-greets, if they choose not to.
What are VA-TRE Meet and Greets?
- 10-15 minute initial conversations between the facility hiring manager or relevant sub-specialty team member and the interested candidate, conducted by phone, Teams or Web-Ex calls, and/or in-person for local candidates. This is a less-formal chance for trainees to hear more about the open positions and practice life at the facility and for candidates to share more about their career interests and goals. Facilities with large candidate pools may schedule online group meet-and-greets with small groups of their candidate pool to meet the timeline.
- After meet-and-greets, facilities can decide to schedule interviews and make job offers to interested candidates for staff positions to begin after trainees have completed their programs.
Contingent Offer Deadline: The majority of our trainees are meeting with multiple VA locations. We set the first-round offer deadline so that they can decide at around the same time if they receive multiple VA job offers. Sites issuing late offers may find that their top candidates have already accepted positions elsewhere.
Preparing Your Local Trainees: Candidate registration links will go out on February 7, 2024 when the full participating site list is available, and candidates (current and former VA trainees) can begin preparing and updating their resumes/ CVs to be ready to register when that goes live. When they register, they will load their contact info, a CV/ resume, and select the registered sites that they are interested in meeting with. They will have two weeks to complete their registration (see timeline below). We will share candidate registration information with this audience, in addition to our email list of trainees, to be sure that your local trainees are notified at that time.
REGISTER FOR YOUR FACILITY:
When completing your facility registration forms: there is not a “save” button to come back and finish the registration at a later time. Please use the attached checklist to help collect the information you will need in order to complete your facility registration. If you need more than 5 slots for your site’s positions, you may either register multiple times, or email your additional positions to the TRE Event Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org. (See the attached checklist for what to send for add-on positions) Please contact email@example.com you have any general questions about TRE events. Thank you!
Q2 Facility Registration Links:
Q2 VATRE Event Timeline
Facility Registration: January 11 – January 26, 2024 (MLK Day Jan 15)
Candidate Registration: February 7 – February 21, 2024 (Presidents Day Feb 19)
Dashboards and candidate CVs to sites by COB March 1, 2024
Meet and Greets: March 4 – March 22, 2024
Interviews: March 25 – April 10, 2024
Extend first-round offers week of April 15 – 19, 2024
Closeout (VA-TRE notifies any candidates not selected as dashboards close/ offers are accepted): thru May 6, 2024 and rolling for subsequent rounds of offers
Remaining FY24 VA-TRE Schedule (Upcoming Events):
- Q3: Psychologists (Spring), Dietitians (2024 candidates): Facility Registration: March 5 – 15, 2024
- Rolling Referrals: Physicians (All Specialties), RN residents, Pharmacy (through program office) – trainee candidates will be directly referred to the locations that interest them throughout the year on a rolling basis. These candidates may submit their information for the VA recruitment team at this link to begin that process.
VA Trainees (all professions) – How Can They Join the Mailing List for Future VA-TRE Events?
- Current and former VA health professions trainees in any profession who would like to add themselves to our email list for recruitment event outreach may do so at this link at any time: Register for VA Trainee Candidate Mailing List. HPTs will receive an automated general reply from the system, but will be added specifically to the HPT contact list for their profession.
General Info on Recruiting Your Own Local Trainees (all healthcare professions)
- The healthcare recruitment market is growing increasingly competitive and our private sector competitors have already started to sign contracts for 2024 positions with current trainees. VHA wants to retain our top trainees, so now is the time to begin thinking about your future hiring needs and whether you are interested in adding your current trainees as future permanent members of your team.
- You are not required to use a VA-TRE event to select your own local trainees, but some sites choose to do so, to standardize their recruitment process if they will also be considering other VA trainees. If this will be your system, in the interest of fairness, please be sure to notify your local trainees that they should choose your site when they register to participate and be sure to pass along the candidate link to your local trainees.
- You can find general resources about VA Trainee Recruitment at the VHA HR Hub: Trainee Recruitment Events (TRE) (sharepoint.com)
- If you are a facility and have HR questions about how to make an early contingent offer or hire any of your own local trainees at any time, you or your local staff/ HR can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected with a subject matter expert.
Questions About VA Trainee Recruitment? Contact email@example.com and a member of our team will assist you!